This 40 hour Instructor-led course will give you the skills you need to oversee and supervise asbestos abatement workers in restricted and regulated asbestos abatement work areas. Through extensive hands-on training and real-world examples, you will gain the knowledge needed to ensure the safety of your workers and stay in compliance with OSHA and EPA regulations.
About the VA Asbestos Supervisor-Initial Course
The training program shall include lectures, demonstrations, training program review, examination, and at least fourteen 14 hours of hands-on training which allows supervisors the experience of performing actual tasks associated with asbestos abatement.
Topics covered in the VA Asbestos Supervisor-Initial Course include:
- The role of the supervisor in the asbestos abatement process.
- The physical characteristics of asbestos and asbestos-containing materials.
- Potential health effects related to asbestos exposure.
- Employee personal protective equipment.
- State-of-the-art work practices.
- Personal hygiene.
- Additional safety hazards.
- Medical monitoring.
- OSHA requirements for a pulmonary function test, chest X-rays and a medical history for each employee.
- Air monitoring.
- Relevant federal, state, and local regulatory requirements, procedures and standards including:
- A review of NESHAP Guidance Documents.
- Respiratory protection programs and medical surveillance programs.
- Insurance and liability issues.
- Recordkeeping for asbestos abatement projects:
- Supervisory techniques for asbestos abatement activities.
- Contract specifications.